Monday, November 19, 2012

The Best Reference Books for Writers and Editors




Colleagues frequently ask me if there are any books I’d recommend they check out to improve their writing and editing skills. I usually suggest sticking to the basics to build a solid foundation. Following are the five best reference books for writers and editors, in my opinion.


When I landed my first serious copyediting job, I read this cover to cover several times. Sure, it’s not exactly bedtime reading, but really familiarizing myself with the content has been invaluable.

Some people prefer The Chicago Manual of Style, but in my 12 years of tech PR and marketing writing experience, I’ve only encountered one client who asked that my work comply with that guide. So, I suggest that folks looking to build basic editing skills focus on AP Style instead.

If you aren’t a fan of hard-copy reference books, you can opt to purchase the AP Stylebook in app form, or via an online database subscription.


Though the AP Stylebook contains a section on punctuation, this standalone book goes into much greater detail. It also provides a plethora or real-world examples, which are helpful when you are stumped about how to correctly apply a rule.


As a freelance marketing writer, a lot of stuff I write and edit is targeted for pickup by the media. This book gives a great picture of the distinctive pressures and requirements faced by journalists. As such, it helps me understand how I can tailor my work to be more appealing to the press. I think this book is particularly important for anyone in a PR/media relations function to read.


This book is written in a really light, readable style. It tackles some of the most frequently encountered grammar missteps in a memorable way. Grammar Girl also offers a weekly podcast that I highly recommend. It’s great to listen to while commuting to work or eating lunch at your desk!


In a world where texting is becoming a primary mode of communication for many, this book makes an argument for the preservation of punctuation. It gives hilarious examples of how meanings are changes by the incorrect use of commas and apostrophes. While this isn’t a reference book, per se, it offers a unique combination of humor and grammar rules that you’ll want to revisit!

What are your favorite reference books for writers and editors? Let me know in a comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment